Thursday, November 29, 2007

Web: Flock

I've been trying out Flock lately as an alternative to Firefox. Although it's based on the same rendering engine, I've heard that Flock is more stable. Flock is interesting in the way it integrates with the many social networking and blogging sites I use, but since I'm a minimalist, it's not really my cup of tea. It's been more stable than Firefox, but it doesn't support the Foxmarks plugin, so I can't synchronize my bookmarks with it. This put me in sort of an awkward position since all my bookmarks are in Firefox, and although I was able to import them, I'm not ready to give Firefox and Foxmarks up yet. I've heard that it at least supports Firebug, which is another must have for me.

Well, I've been using Flock for a week or so now, and I can really see why some people would like it. However, it's just not my thing, and it finally crashed on me. It's probably Mozilla's fault that it crashed, but I'm now tempted to switch back to Firefox.

In summary, Flock is cool, but I sure wish Mozilla were smaller and more stable. Personally, I blame C++ ;)

Updated:

I just ran out of disk space, which could be the reason Flock crashed. That is, perhaps, more forgivable ;)

7 comments:

Shannon -jj Behrens said...

Hmm, not so fast. It's true that Flock just crashed, but it's also true that I just ran out of disk space!

rtl said...

You might take a look at Epiphany - http://www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/ - if you haven't already.

Although I'm not sure if it will work with Foxmarks as it uses a different bookmark setup (topic/tag based).

Leon said...

If you want to try minimal, try Prism.

http://labs.mozilla.com/featured-projects/#prism

Shannon -jj Behrens said...

> Epiphany

Ah, yes, that's what I used before Firefox. Is it bringing you joy?

Shannon -jj Behrens said...

> Prism

Ah, yes, the Adobe Air killer. Let's hope it wins ;)

adam u. said...

I gave up and switched to Opera on Linux. I really want to use FF, but it's a bloated memory-leaking pig, Flash locks it up and the backspace key doesn't work to take you back a page (major annoyance.)

However! Opera doesn't work with Yahoo mail, so I'm kinda stuck, ha ha ha! Will this be what drives me to gmail??

Anyways, I know you're not excited to use a non-free browser, and neither am I really, but it beats the alternatives. IE6 on Linux is fun but I can't recommend it as a FF-killer ;-)

Shannon -jj Behrens said...

> I gave up and switched to Opera on Linux.

hahaha Opera is gaining serious inroads among Mac users that I know.

> I really want to use FF, but it's a bloated memory-leaking pig,

It's definitely that way right now.

> Flash locks it up

Yeah, it helps to hit pause before changing pages.

> and the backspace key doesn't work to take you back a page (major annoyance.)

alt-left

> However! Opera doesn't work with Yahoo mail, so I'm kinda stuck, ha ha ha! Will this be what drives me to gmail??

haha That's a weird turn of events. Just make sure you forward your email so that you don't abandon the old email address.

> Anyways, I know you're not excited to use a non-free browser, and neither am I really, but it beats the alternatives.

Safari doesn't work on as many Web sites, but it seems that it's doing half way decently. Opera is still probably better.

> IE6 on Linux is fun but I can't recommend it as a FF-killer ;-)

As a developer, IE6 is my biggest problem. *So* much stuff is broken that we actually decided to stop supporting it.

By the way, I'm still enjoying Flock. It still crashes with Flash, and I can't use Foxmarks, but it's not bad. I'm even getting interested in all the social features it has.