Sunday, October 21, 2012

Video Games: TV Latency

I was having a lot of problems with latency on my TV, and my wife and I finally figured out how to fix it. I bought a used TV on Craigslist because my old CRT started smoking. The new one was originally purchased at Best Buy. It's an Insignia model number NS-32L550A11.

When I plugged in the Wii, the latency was so bad it was driving my entire family crazy. Here are the steps that my wife and I took to finally fix the problem:

  • First of all, I decided to buy a component adapter / cable to connect the Wii directly to the TV using a component connection. This made the picture look a lot better.
  • We resynced all of the Wii remotes and checked their batteries.
  • Then we went to the Wii settings menu and switched the screen to wide screen mode, and we set the resolution to 480p.
  • Then we made sure that the TV was in game mode. Other versions of this TV called this DCM mode.
  • We tried moving the sensor bar and checking the sensitivity.
  • The most important thing we did was reset the component settings in the TV menu to factory settings. I had seen other tips online that resetting the TV to factory settings would fix the problem. Resetting just the component settings was enough to get rid of the latency issues.

Now my wife can play her Wii Fit without wanting to kill the TV :)

No comments: