Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Use "perfect" as a verb, not as an adjective

I'm slowly making my way through the PyCon videos on pyvideo.org, and one of them that I particularly liked was Alex Martelli's "Good enough" is good enough!

He made a statement that really hit home for me. He said that we should use "perfect" as a verb, not as an adjective. That is, we should always be striving to perfect our software, without ever hoping or expecting that it will ever be perfect.

I think that's a really good message, and it applies to many parts of life. I occasionally suffer from perfectionism. That one phrase has made a profound impact on my life because I no longer worry about things that are not perfect. Rather, I am happy when I can make things slightly more perfect.

And let's not forget that Worse is Better anyway ;)

No comments: