Thursday, January 02, 2014

Shooting a Screencast that Shows an IDE

Many moons ago, I had to record a screencast. Most of the screencast was spent looking at code in an IDE. I wanted the IDE to be fullscreen, but I also wanted the text to be readable, even when the viewer wasn't watching fullscreen. Furthermore, I didn't want to spend all day zooming in on the cursor; I wanted things to "just work". After playing around with settings way too much, this is what worked for me:

  • I used Camtasia for Mac.
  • I plugged my laptop into my TV (using an HDMI cable) and configured the screen to be 720p. That's the only easy way I know of to get the screen to be exactly 720p.
  • I recorded the video at 720p. Hence, what was in the video matched 1 to 1 with what was on my screen.

Here's a link to the original video. The video is quite viewable in a normal YouTube window, but if you go fullscreen, it looks even better. The text is very crisp once YouTube switches over to the 720p version, but it's still readable even in lower bandwidth environments.

No comments: